View Single Post
Old 08-26-2005, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat
1) Tranny problems: I've read that 92 trannies were awful - blew up continually, and that the later (94 and after) trannies were less susceptible to total failure. Is this true? I'm honestly not concerned about warped rotors - slotting and beefing them up isn't that much of an issue.
If you buy an early SVX with over 100,000 miles, seems there's a good possibility the transmission has already been rebuilt. In my view, any high-mileage automatic of any year or make is living on borrowed time, anyway. Might go another 100K; might go tomorrow.

Quote:
2) What is the best way to *prevent* this from happening? I've read about tranny coolers, rebuilds with better parts, better filtration (?), etc.
An external cooler is pretty much the first order of business for everyone. As to filtration, Subaru retrofitted many '92s with an external ATF filter, to catch the stuff that was endding-up blocking the screen in the radiator cooler. Look for a black canister (much like a fuel filter) inside the frame rail, beneath the battery.

Quote:
3) There are those online who insist that any SVX produced 94 and after is *slower* than the 92-93 models. Is this true? If so, why?
Nothin' to add, but I sometimes wonder if the existence of a top-end governor on later models isn't an SVX legend.

Quote:
4) Although I"ll probably buy any SVX in decent shape (as long as it's AWD), I'll eventually need parts. links/suggestions would be helpful.
Parts are readily available, but it might take a few days to get certain stuff. And don't forget aftermarket: Some here will swear against anything that's not OEM, but I've been running a NAPA timing belt, rear wheel bearing, RF halfshaft, water pump, and thermostat (and probably something else I'm forgetting) for over 20,000 miles without trouble. Same with filters.

Welcome, and good luck.

dcb