View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 05:37 PM

Well...here I come. Sound off.

I've been looking at them for over a year - and my recent move to the Poconos came with one caveat: "If I'm moving to the Poconos, I'm getting a freakin' Subaru."

Currently a Honda man, but...I remember drooling over the SVXs in the 90s...and I'm taking out a small loan to buy an SVX. They're reliable, good in the snow, fast, and look pretty danged cool.

NOW - here are my issues, and I'd like feedback.

1) Tranny problems: I've read that 92 trannies were awful - blew up continually, and that the later (94 and after) trannies were less susceptible to total failure. Is this true? I'm honestly not concerned about warped rotors - slotting and beefing them up isn't that much of an issue.

2) What is the best way to *prevent* this from happening? I've read about tranny coolers, rebuilds with better parts, better filtration (?), etc.

3) There are those online who insist that any SVX produced 94 and after is *slower* than the 92-93 models. Is this true? If so, why?

4) Although I"ll probably buy any SVX in decent shape (as long as it's AWD), I'll eventually need parts. links/suggestions would be helpful.

I'm sure that there are tons of threads buried here that cover all of these subjects, but...hey...take it easy.

I'm new.