Thread: why?
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2004, 07:58 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Nobody said you couldn't share racing stories - we said you couldn't share street racing stories. Plenty of people here post about drag racing (at an actual strip) and autocrossing and we have absolutely no problem with that.

Our reasons for enacting the ban are the following:

1. Street racing is illegal. Simple as that. Whether you're over the posted speed limit or not, it's illegal. We do not want to condone illegal activity on this site. I'm not going to quote motor vehicle code for your state. Go look it up if you want - there are any number of things you'll get busted for if you're caught street racing. That's mostly because of the following:

2. Street racing is dangerous. Again, very simple. Whether you think you have total control over the situation or not isn't the point. You don't. There are innocent people (and their property) involved and that's just not cool. Activities and events that take place in more controlled situations (drag racing on a strip, autocrossing as examples) don't include this factor. Everybody there is a willing participant.

That's not to say we won't allow threads about anything dangerous. Post all you want about bungie jumping or whitewater rafting.

3. Street racing threads have an uncanny knack for turning ugly.

4. We followed the example of NASIOC, which also has an outright ban on street racing threads. That site is much larger and the adminstrators have much more experience than we do, so we deferred to that experience.

1. Driving OVER the speed limit IS illegal. Plenty of our members have brought up their daily commute at speeds well over the legal limit .

2.. Driving OVER the speed limit is DANGEROUS, PERIOD....

3. I'm assuming that ONLY street racing threads get UGLY! Nothing to do with Neons

4. Why the heck would I want to listen to a bunch of tools who think that Subaru JUST started making decent perfomance cars when I drive the BEST Subaru the world has ever seen!

Benjamin Franklin once said that he didn't want to live in a world that prevented a person from speaking his mind. Granted I've never hear a statement from G. W. Bush nor John F. Kerry agreeing with this principal. Just ask the 319 AMERICAN citiizens currently being held without the right to their rights simply because someone has determined that they are a threat to our national interests. I'm guessing that they are as much of a threat pesonally as the 3000+ actors blacklisted and ruined by OUR goverment during the 'red scare' of the 1950s. Oh right SORRY YOU CAN'T ASK THEM since as in the USA you don't have the right to speak to them.

I've always maintained I love EVERY single memeber of this board regardless of sex, private orientation, religious or lack of religous beliefs, political ideals, financial background, brains or writing ability BUT this is quickly changing!

I would gladly attribute money toward a true SVX club but I personally have not viewed any motion toward the legal formation of such so I've been content to feel that my contrabution is more towards the Reading meets in terms of money, time and effort!

Personally I'm quite fed up with the police state known as the SVX network. IF YOU don't like a thread WHY READ IT? If you don't like someone WHY PAY ATTENTION to them? If you're only here to talk about something other than SVXs all the time WHY ARE YOU HERE but just the same to me you are more than welcome here and as long as people pay attention to your posts feel free to post away, if not that is probably a message that you're thoughts no matter how coherent and interesting are not of interest to the site.

I try not to read street racing threads. I really don't care who someone beat on the street as I know that it has only about 10% to do with the car. That is not the issue. The issue is why must intelligent (obviously eveyone on the board is as they have an interest in SVXs) be sensored for expressing their thoughts, feelings, beliefs, actions in a non violent, non profane manner.

Oh yeah, if you think that street racing is wrong my ONLY question to you is did you speed today. Two wrongs definately don't make a right but judgement should always be left up to your maker.