View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 04:27 PM

Spontaneous radiator combustion.

My radiator just blew up!

I am currently blaming my radiator cap. Earlier on in the day, the old old old old rubber radiator hose sprung a leak. 20 bucks later that was fixed and I went home. 100+ mile drive. No sweat.

I let the car cool down an hour or so then went to the store. I was sitting at a stoplight, for a while, the temperature needle moved up a bit, but not much, nowhere near the red, but just a bit higher than normal. I just watched it very slowly inch up. Then when i stepped on the gas when the light turned green. KABOOM

Coolant everywhere, the force of the explosion tore up the insulation on the top of the hood. It looks like it's only the top plastic part that actually blew up. Is that specifically replaceable? Or does the whole radiator have to go?

I am currently blaming the fans for not coming on from possibly being sprayed with coolant earlier in the day, because they weren't on at all when I was checking out the car after the radiator blowout. That and coincidental radiator cap failure, possibly some grit got in it while i was filling the radiator back up?

Does this sound about right or could this be a more devious plot by SVX gremlins?