View Single Post
Old 03-05-2004, 04:28 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Blue
Haven't read the whole thread, so bear with me if this has been mentioned already.

1) Ford's new engine in the Focus is more efficient and cleaner (meeting PZEV requirements) than most hybrids on the market today, according to Ford as well as the DOT.
Is this taking into account the total system, or just the gas engines used in the hybrid systems? I would believe that the engine was more efficient and showed lower emissions than just the gasoline engine components of Toyota and Honda hybrid systems. But I find it very difficult to believe that the engine is 'more efficient' and 'greener' than the systems as a whole. The Prius gets, what, 40-50 combined mpg? I doubt very much that the Focus will achieve that with just a gas engine.

Quote:
2) Ford is offering a Hybrid Escape model for 2005.
This is an example of the 'different strategy' I meantioned that US carmakers are employing concerning hybrids. I'll be interested to see how it compares. My concern is that the hybrid versions will prove even slightly more problematic and the stigma will become, 'the Escape is nice, but stay away from the hybrid versions.' On the other hand, I think that offering hybrid versions of cars people already like is a perfectly valid concept.

Quote:
3) I work at a Ford dealer, so that's how I know this, and also why I don't know if any other US brand is doing similar work.
Ford said some time ago that they would be offering a hybrid Escape, so this is hardly privileged information. Well before that Dodge said they'd sell a hybrid Durango, which offered a whopping 2MPG increase in efficiency. I haven't heard anything about that Durango in some time, though.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE