Thread: Top Speed?
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2003, 01:43 AM

Registered SVX
Hi Joe, nice to talk to you.

Yes I know all about the stupid centre clutch in the US models and the resulting poor torque split. No doubt those reporting lots of under steer have bugger all drive to the rear due to a stuffed clutch.

Ò The car is set up for smooth high-speed mile munching, the springs are too soft, the anti-roll bars are not thick enough. Ò

Based on the way my car handles I do not understand this view. As an all round road car mine is an excellent compromise in all respects. If it was as you describe I would not own it as we have very few straight roads. When pushing the limit it is close to neutral.

Ò Have fun on the circuit, but drive smooth. Because of all the weight, if it goes beyond the limit it may tend to yaw and pendulum.Ó

My aim is to take the car way beyond the limit, this being the object of the exercise. I drive straight arm and expect no problem in getting the required opposite lock on quickly. Having started my racing well before sticky tyres I regard side ways motion as part of the fun or to be more exact all of the fun !

Driven hard on the road my car does not yaw or wash out at the front and there is no reaction at the rear end which is related to weight imbalance i.e. pendulum effect. Yes the car is heavy but so what. The weight is fairly well balanced and the c of g is low. I have owned and raced cars much more of a handful and which stood on their ear through a corner but could still be made to continue at a high rate of knots. The SVX does none of this.

There is one authoritative member who has done some fast sealed circuit autocross events in the US. I noticed and have been interested that his comments do not agree with the general opinion there. Strange he even rates the brakes as adequate. The answer I have to many of the reports I read is that they are based on the performance of worn out examples.

What do you and others think about urethane steering components as I
mentioned ?

Sincere regards, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!