View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 08:25 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Re: Who has the lowest mileage SVX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Regards your point on non-US SVXes having different production years and registration years with the delay between production date and eventual registration, there is a difficulty there all right. This difficulty does also apply to the US though; a lot of SVXes sold as '92 models, the year of biggest sales I think, were actually manufactured in Gunma in the latter half of 1991. How many of those owners will be happy to have their cars now re-classified as '91 Model Year cars?

One of my silver UK cars is first registered in 1995 but I know it was actually manufactured in 1993. I think using the year of first registration as the only preferred differentiator has the benefit of simplicity. It is not feasible to be taking account of the [normal] stockpiling by manufacturers, distributors and dealers when looking at mileage this far down the road.

Joe
I think the US system tied to the actual year of production is the obvious best method to track vehicles.

I say this because as owners and collectors we are most interested in how a vehicle is equipped and does it have manufacturing engineering improvements done over time. For example--later models had transmission modifications. Change from OBDI to OBDII. Parts interchangeability and applicability. Parts manuals are based on manufacture date.

Its a truly screwed up system that would classify a model year based on first year of registration. That essentially tells you nothing pertinent about the vehicle.
Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE