View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 09:04 PM

Do it right!

You can "do it right" my way or "do it right" Hondasucks way.
Either way will get you by.
However, the pressure in the system will very with different outside temperature. I suppose it does help in doing it my way to have 55 years of my own refrigeration and air conditioning business. That does make it pretty easy for me to tell by the frost line and all those years of training certainly helps also. Cars are really simple. I wasn't thinking that for an unexperienced person, the 30 lb thingie might be easier and for sure you will have it close enough! Might not be easy for just a mechanic that works on everything either. Just be safe! Sorry if I misled you.

And... If your system gets low with a small small leak, you won't need a can with oil in it for that.

Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post
Do it right, use a gauge, charge it to ~30 psi on the low side. Best way is to use a set of manifold gauges so you can monitor the high side. DO NOT attempt to fill from the high side as it will make the refrigerant can explode! (That 30 psi is with the system RUNNING. It will jump when you add the refrigerant, and then if you turn the can valve off it will drop as the refrigerant is cycled through.) Should take about a pound and a half from dead empty. Best thing to do is get one of the cans that has the oil and everything mixed in already, as no oil = toasted compressor.

Last edited by kwren; 06-10-2008 at 09:12 PM. Reason: And... If your system gets low with a small small leak, you won't need a can with oil in it for that.