View Single Post
Old 09-24-2004, 12:32 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Today we have pictures of the fuel pump install. We installed a Walbro 255 lph fuel pump in place of the factory 140 lph fuel pump in order to supply enough fuel for our demands.

The fuel pump is submerged in the fuel tank along with a whole bunch of fuel level sensors and brackets. There is an access panel behind the rear seats under the trunk carpeting.

After removing the access panel you can see the fuel hoses and the lid to the fuel tank used to access the electronics which are in the tank. Unlike the WRX our fuel pump and metering electronics are not attached to the lid but are on separate brackets inside of the tank. There are 3 brackets inside of the tank. 1 bracket has the fuel pump on it, the 2nd bracket has a fuel level meter and fuel pickup on it, and the 3rd has another fuel level meter and the jet pump (uses suction from the fuel return line to draw fuel from the pickup on the opposite side of the tank).

I didn't take any pictures inside of the tank. Here you can see the lid from the tank removed and the fuel pump assembly (the 2 metering assemblies remain in the tank). I have already switched the pump out at this point. The smaller silver pump now mounted in the assembly is the new 255lph pump. The larger fuel stained pump sitting next to the assembly is the old 140lph pump.

Since this fuel pump is intended for a WRX the wires are shorter than we need for the SVX. I didn't have any other wire handy so I clipped the ends off of the old wires and used the body of the old wires to extend the new wiring. I of course heat shrinked the connections to make sure no shorts could happen (positive metal contact touching negative metal contact). At this point some of you are probably wondering how come all these electrical connections can be submerged in the gas tank without shorting out. Remember not all liquids are the same. There's no water in gasoline; it's actually hydrocarbons and it isn't conductive enough to cause shorts.

With the new fuel pump the fuel pressure is raised 5 or 6 psi accross the board. I can adjust for this in the constant I will be adjusting for the new fuel injectors. This will have us running around 35 psi at idle and 48 psi at full load which will work nicely.