View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 11:25 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Ignition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
So pretty much i'm having intermittent starting problems. I did the Bosch relay mod, the car started for about a week. I drove up to school (about 2 hours) and now it doesn't start at all. I can jump the positive terminal(30) to the terminal of the relay that the ignition is attached to(86) and it starts right up. So it seems that there is no current flowing (or not enough) from the ignition to terminal 86 on the relay. So I guess I wanted to know what exactly to check for. Do I get a new ignition switch (83131PA000), or is it more likely old wires, insufficient gage wire, etc. Am I on the right track?
Im not sure what you have checked for, but one easy thing to try is to switch the AT lever into Neutral or bump it forward a few times in Park. Sometimes the switch can go bad and intermittently cause the computer to think its still in gear, disabling the starter circuit.

If that doesnt apply, then you will have to check the circuit from the relay to the ignition switch, and find where the voltage signal is being disrupted. You have the wiring diagrams from the service manual right?

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.