Thread: poll:age
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2004, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny

Had to work for my cars since I had my first one at 17 and have paid for everything myself. I think it is a sad statement on todays society where most (not all) 16 year olds feel it is their natural born entitlement to be handed a brand new car on their birthday. They will have little real appreciation of what they have unless they have to provide for themselves. I think it is my generation overcompensating for the fact that we had to work for what we had. Many of them probably resented the fact that they had to work for their car and want to be able to give one to their kid to "save them from the pain". I wish they realised that it is not helping to build any real character in their child.

Kudos to all the 16 - 20 year olds in the network who have earned the right to own/drive any car, let alone the SVX we all love! You are truly the future of this country.

Johnny
I earned my SVX by doing some small jobs and a weekly paper rought whole $50 bucks a month for the paper rought. My parents never gave me anything for my car ecept a place to park it. I first bought a 87 tubro supra with body damage for $1500, fixed it sold for $3100, then bought my SVX for $1200 total, swaped in a 5spd $1000, and paided my brother off for a loan for the supra. My paprents origanly said they would pay halfs up to $1000 but never gave me the money. I know a couple of kids at my school who were given some really nice hand downs, newer BMWs, ect or there parents went out and spent $20,000 grand or more on a car for them. The best and only hand down i got was a 75 dodge dart with the slant 6. This car was used as a 3rd car when another was in the shop, and was in horrible shape. I had more problems with that car than any other i have ever thouched. It would hit the exhust manifold with the body roll (only of right hand turns, every time i went some were over 20 miles away something would break %100 of the time, radiator cracked, radiator hose blew on the freeway, distributor gear broke some how when the car was sitting, and water pump complety gave out. The best part was when the radiator hose broke and i was talking to my dad about it, i asked when was the last time he replaced any of the hoses becasue they were extremly fragile and bloated, his answer was 10 to 15 years ago. Last time i trusted my dad with a car.

Last edited by svxsubaru1; 07-17-2004 at 12:37 AM.