View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Motorcycle Fanatic.

About to buy an SVX, need opinions.

First a foremost, I really need an unbiased opinion on this. While I appreciate the "BUY AN SVX WOOOOO" fanclub, it's not the type of advice i'm looking for. I used to own a 91 Audi Quatro, so I am right there with you when it comes to the love of rare cars. So here is the nitty gritty of the car.

92 LS-L (with all the options)
105k miles
Some kind of weird ass dark purple lol <--I'm a male, I don't do "fancy" color terms.
Aftermarket Rims (with another set of aftermarket and a car cover with the purchase)

The lady that owns it bought it used with 1,200 miles on it. Apparently the original owners didn't like the car or the windows. At one point it was taken to a mechanic for an undisclosed issue and the Fan Clutch (it seems) was jury rigged to a switch beside the Gear Column. Basically you flip the switch, then hit the auto button on the AC and it turns on, very weird. The plug from the fan originally was unplugged, I plugged it in and flipped the switch on the column, all the sudden I get smoke from burning wires. I flip the switch back and get ready to put out a fire with my hands. I got lucky lol. No fire, but that system needs replaced without a doubt. Battery was dead both times I showed up, but it had been sitting once for 6 months and then for 2 weeks with only being ran for 5 minutes. No big, new battery ./shrug

I took it to Goodyear and went over the car with them. It needs rear wheel bearings, cam seals, crank seals, and the power steering seems to be leaking from an undisclosed location. They guessed the power steering gear (a term i've never come across). Left rear tire was dry rotting (been sitting for 6 months) so it needs replaced. A timing belt and possible water pump was recommend since the engine was already being pulled. I agreed, total rough quote was 1200$ parts and labor.

I also slammed it once or twice to feel for transmission slipage or flat spots in the power curve. I couldn't feel a damn thing except my head getting pushed back. It pulls to redline in 2nd gear, so I'm guessing a very agressive ECU settings stock or someone has hooked it up and changed it.

She wants 3000$ for the car, 1200$ to get it up to speed, 4200$ worth it?