View Single Post
Old 01-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
What to do?

Looking at your options. To replace the Svx box, that is an Euro type, with a Liberty, would have to have the front of the drive shaft extended, as the Euro AWD box is about 3" longer that the Liberty Transfer box.The TCU has to be replaced, with the Liberty, and the Liberty ratio fitted to the rear diff.

The problems, as I see them is that the tail shaft is two piece, with a Double offset joint in the center bearing. This type of shaft is not able to be pulled apart,( Huck may know how to do it), but the front end of it would have to be extended, to reach the Liberty.

I think the 4.44 would be too low for what you want, especially if you do fit the higher lift cams. Too low a gearing with more torque, would run you through the lower gears too quick. Ask Chike what he thinks would be the best ratio for what you want? I think the 4.1 would suit you better. You can compare what it would be like if your Liberty had another 100HP.

I would get the SVX box rebuilt with the 4.1 front diff, and fit the 4.1 into the rear diff at the same time. This way you get the lower gearing that you want, and still keep the best AWD there is. I have driven my Liberty hard in the twisties, and the Transfer AWD is not suited to it, as much as the SVX 40/60 AWD is. You would not have to alter the drive shaft, or the TCU.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.