View Single Post
Old 01-05-2006, 05:15 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by -JJ-
ok option 2 is out!

Its either option 1 or option 3

I am getting two arguments, i would realy like to hear what Harvey has to say about huck's comments, to reasure me that no drive shaft work is needed with this box and that the stock tcu will plug and play prefectly!

Just to clarify the drive shaft issue is it the rear drives shafts in question or the shaft between the diff and the box??

Also harvey i enjoy corners....a lot , when i go out for i drive i take mountain passes, or drive somewhere to take a pass , would the 4.44 be suited? will it go like a dog or be more fun as huck put it.

also Huck "install a 4.44 ring and pinion into the rear diff too, but the driveshaft should be the same."

do you mean modify my stock diff, or replace it with the 4.44 rear diff?

I have installed a JDM Turbo Legacy 4.44 box into a SVX before, it was a plug and play....(but that was on a US car)

The drive line that has to be legthened on a 5-speed swap is the drive shaft between the box and the rear diff.

To install a 4.44 rear diff you have to swap ring and pinion, as Subaru never made a 4.44 rear LSD diff that will use the SVX axles, so you have to use the SVX LSD unit so you can use the stock rear axles.

If you like corners, the lower gearing will make you more happy, and be easier on the transmission, so the 4.44's sound like what you need to me.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"