Thread: OT - virus
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2001, 12:43 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Good point, Beav. Even Norton suggests when you go to update your virus sigs, even though the software says it downloaded everything, keep on clicking the update button until it says "no updates are available." I try to update once a day with all the crap going on, plus, my system automatically runs a full scan at 3 a.m. every morning.
That's kinda what I was getting at though, mine is similarly configured, it ran full scan 2 days ago but found nothing. I updated it manually instead of allowing it to look for updates itself and there were two updates that it hadn't found automatically. After they were installed is when the trojans were found. (unused, hopefully...)

Uh... I'm starting to think that maybe auto update is a feature of Norton for Win2k and maybe not Norton Win9x. It's been too long for me to remember how it worked under Win9x. Win2k version auto updates SystemWorks whenever you have it configured (each day for me.) Problem is it sometimes doesn't 'get' all updates by itself.

Then again if I had really been careful I wouldn't be normally running as Administrator, allowing things to be installed without my permission. Duh on me! I guess I got what I asked for, at least no real damage was done this time.

Beav