Thread: Bye Bye SVX
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 08:01 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Red face

.....Different laws and finance (seems much more complicated here and loads of fine print!)

Let me know if you want the blow-by-blow of test drives and the trials and tribulations of buying a car in Germany.[/QUOTE]

I'd be particularly interested in your adventures, as I was stationed in Helmstedt (25 or so K's east of Wolfburg), back in the last century, years '65 - '67. I went through 3 cars - a '57 beetle, a '66 Fiat 850 that I totalled, & a '56 Mercedes 190 sedan that I traded the remains of the Fiat for, plus $300. The Mercedes was pieced together from the parts of other assorted Benzes, & then painted green to hide the taxi contributed doors. Only an American G.I. could get away with such an abomination, as such a contraption would never get through "TUV" - Techniche.....etwas?...the equivolent of a USA safety inspection, but MUCH more scrutinizing.
Even back then dealers didn't want anything older than maybe 5 years.
Used car lots weren't as common as they are in the states, & most of the older vehicles were wholesaled out to "lesser" societies such as Holland & Belgium. As the Germans tend to raise bureaucracy to an art form, I'm curious to see how many nails lie in the road in your quest for an autobahn cruiser.
I take it you're an American citizen? Viele Gluck!

Herr Mummert.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.