View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Alternator Failures

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
This was brought up briefly in another thread, but I feel it may deserve its own.

POSSIBLE SUGGESTIONS:

Reduce external heat by cutting away that portion of the hood insulation that covers the vents on the alternator. a little breathing room may allow for alternator cooling when engine is off (or running), offering a path for heat to escape.
I could not desecrate my, almost immaculate, insulation.

Quote:
Removing the underbelly pan to reduce trapped heat and underhood temperatures.
No hot air rises, so it will still be trapped at the top of the engine compartment.

Quote:
Find a way to keep our cooling fans running for a bit, after the ignition is turned off, to help cool down underhood temps. There are many cars that use this circuitry.
This would be my choice, as I have wanted to do this for a while. It would also help to relieve the top of the radiator from the heat soak that, I believe causes the top tank to crack.

Quote:
Reduce internal alternator heat by replacing Normal alternators with high-output units. A high-output unit works more efficiently and produces amps more easily so it doesn't have to work as hard. A more efficient unit generates less internal heat to begin with.

Upgrade alternator wires to a larger gauge to reduce resistance (heat) and improve current flow, making the work of the alternator easier.

THOUGHTS?

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.