View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 08:26 AM

Registered SVX
Re: series of problems ending w/locked transmision in park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvan View Post
I'm really lost at this . The little cover is off and all I see is a screw w/what I thought was a Philips head but probably is an Allen key slot (determined this from a response to this thread). I can't seem to find the correct Allen Key size. I assume if I find the correct size, I need to loosen the screw but since other responses suggested a straightened paper clip or screw driver how does that work with an Allen screw? This is instead of the "button" but I don't see anything to move except the screw. I tried to poke around but nothing happened.People referred to a "button", which i could see in the photo for the older models but does anyone have a photo of a 94 model with the cover off? My camera's not working so I can't post a photo; maybe later I can borrow a camera.
The Shift Lock procedure is in the owner's manual.

There is no actual button. Find the procedure in the manual and read the following below. (From David Carter's website on radio replacement)

With the Ignition switch Off and key removed, follow the procedure (in your SVX Owners Manual) to manually release the Gearshift Selector Lever lock so you can move the lever to the 1st gear position.

Tip: To release the lock, you need to insert your screwdriver into the hole only about 1/2" below the sliding metal piece. The lock release mechanism is a metal lever just below the hole. It's possible for a small screwdriver to go past the lever to the side, so it helps to angle the tip of the screwdriver just a little towards the right (and the handle towards the left). When you touch the release lever, you should feel a slight springy resistance. Push it down just a little, then you'll be able to push the thumb button on the gearshift lever. While still holding the thumb button, remove the screwdriver, then move the gearshift down to 1st.