View Single Post
Old 05-26-2004, 02:52 PM
mark10t

Here's a follow-up to my 'saga'-

I just got the Legacy Touring Wagon back from the shop yesterday. Except for the hole they punched in the rear interior facia of the hatch lid**, there are no problems and the car drives very nicely. The 'fresh' transmission shifts very crisply and far mor consistent with no hint of the 'flares' I'd experience with the old tranny. They did have to re-use the Legacy torque converter- it appreared as though there were some minor differences (i.e., starter ring gear) that were different and there are definitely some physical differences in the front diff's such as the starter and the axle stubs between SVX and Legacy. (I wouldn't have been able to re-use Victoria's diif anyway considering it had 4 teeth missing on the ring gear!!??!!)

**They decided to put my old trans/diff/torque converter, etc. in the back of the wagon before they test drove the car. When he hopped on it to test traction, etc., the torque tube/drive rod of the transmission slid back on the wagon floor and punched a hole through the hatch door facia and even put a small dent in the outer sheet metal. (Wouldn't you think you'd do your testing and 'spirited driving' BEFORE you put all the oily, heavy, loose stuff in the car!? I also ended up with some ATF leaking out of the tranny onto the deck and carpet before I got home- YECCHHHH! Lots of fun to clean up..... )

The only thing I'm a little disappointed in yet is the transfer clutch. After a lot of 'seat of the pants' and technical testing of the original transmission, I knew that I wasn't seeing ANYTHING out the back of the transmission to the rear wheels. I checked out the new transmission by driving up the back yard- a steep grass slope with the car- and got it to kick in the back wheels- although it wasn't as 'instantaneous' or as constant in engagement as I would have liked or hoped for.

So, now we've answered another Legacy vs. SVX transmission question.

-Mark