View Single Post
Old 05-15-2004, 06:13 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by NomadTW
i dissasembled the transmission that was formerly in my svx, to remove the shift solenoid cluster. i did not have access to an svx service manual but i do have one from the 90 legacy. according to the legacy manual, and the actual svx transmission interanly the valve body is the the same. the solenoids are the same,
the valves are the same the bolts are the same, everything is the same. I would have to say that the only difference is in the clutches...
as has been noted before the 4eat uses a variable torque split by letting the clutches slip in varying amounts. This generates heat. friction=heat more clutch contact =more friction more friction = more heat...

so to rationalize my legacy transmission and all it's hastles that this previously cursed object has wrought upon me i use this train of thought.
The valve may look identical from the outside but the springs that load the spool valves may be different. The accumulators may be different also.

The 4eat does not allow any clutches to slip. The variable torque split, only applies a varing pressure to the transfer clutch, to prevent slip. When turning the transfer clutch pressure is reduced to allow it to slip about 1/4 of a turn to allow for the front/back wheel difference.

So the extra clutch plates are there to stop the higher torque from slipping the clutches under power.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.