Thread: Tires
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2003, 07:14 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally posted by chellie
Ok, you guys I need some help. I need new tires....
1. Do all 4 tires need replaced or can I get away with 2 new ones
Only one blew out
2. What is the differance between Directional and Non Directional?
3. Does anyone run Cooper Touring?
4. I drive my baby alot as I can't help myself. She has been sitting since the blow out and I am so confused as to what to buy that I can afford I don;'t know what to do. I am dazed and confused.
5. Can any garage put these tires on or should I take her to a Subaru dealer? What I mean, I guess, can I mess up the balance and steering by letting a local yoko put them on.

Thankx guys,
1. if you have an AWD SVX you need to replace all four tires, otherwise your back wheels will rotate slightly slower or faster than your front ones, causing excess heat....
2. direction and non directional just apply to whether the tire can only be put on in one direction, this affects rotation, but if you have the stock wheels, you wouldn't be cross rotating them anyway.
3. no input
4. What are you looking for in a tire? what can you afford, check out www.tirerack.com because they have a lot of good info (the one thing i really hate about tirerack, is the values they have the tires rated at, are all customer input, so they aren't factual claims) if you are looking at all season, the continental conti-extremes, the B/F goodrich T/A KDWS, and the Yokohama DbS2s are alll good tires, the continentals are better in snow, while the others are better in most everything else
5. yes, any local garage can put them on, just make sure to ask them if they use the "european tire machine" rather than the "tire machine" (not sure exactly on the names, but i know that the tire machine can really scratch up your wheels if they aren't carefull

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker