View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
The noise was probably just a lifter cause of the low oil. Fill her back up with oil and hopefully you are ok and back on the road.

If you need to start on your oil leaks on the cheap your likely biggest offenders are luckily the easiest to get too. The intake cam caps which you wouldn't even think would leak since they aren't a friction seal and your valve cover gaskets. You can replace the intake cam caps without getting into taking off the timing belt etc..just the side timing covers. It's tight removing the valve covers on the car but it is doable. Be carefull installing them and dont let the gaskets pop out during install.

If you toasted your engine building it is going to be tough to do on the cheap. You'll need to hone your cyllinders and you will get piston slap with a sidewall clearance of more than 3 and a half thousanths so you will have to get oversized pistons. I think the factory pistons are around $360 a set. I can supply you hastings rings at I think it was $150. I can also supply you rediculously good main and rod bearings at $250 (coated high silicon aluminum bearings developed for our race engines). You'll need the factory overhaul gasket and seal set which is close to $300. That aught to do it. That adds up to what $1060 in parts? You can glean the info on what to pay attention to on the machine work from the engine build threads in mod mania.