View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 02:24 PM
.... what a sweet ride !!

Registered SVX
SVXCESS,

Your interpretation of my wiring is pretty close. My problem is that I'm severely colorblind. So colors just confuse me. I'm sorry, I just grab a wire, and it if is a heavy enough gage, then I use it. I'm a "black & white picture" guy.

The only +12V going into the box is the wire from the firewall, and that 12V is switched on by the fog light switch. The red wires in the box jumper pins 86 & 30 and that goes out of the box to the ground point in front of the battery. The Black wire with the red trace comes from pin 87 and goes out of the box and is spliced into the fog light wiring, at the existing red-green wire. When ever that red-green wire is pulled to ground the fog lights will turn on, even it the ignition switch is off.

With this mod, if the ignition is on and the fog light switch is on, then the fog lights turn on regardless if the headlights, parking lights, or high-beams are on or not. If you turn on the high-beams and the fog lights then all 6 lights on the front of the car will light up.

I didn't use the existing fog light relay because it was not in a convenient place for me to break into its wiring and it looked like it would take several changes to make it work. I'm getting too old to stand on my head under the dash and try to crimp terminals or splices, or worse yet - solder.

Another thing that probably adds to your confusion with the wiring in the box is the additional wires I have added between the vacuum switch and a panel jack mounted on the end of the box. I use that to experiment with various settings of the switch point when I am adjusting it. I monitor the vacuum switch with a small meter I can mount on the dash so I see when it switches on and off while I'm driving. But that's another story.

'02 Outback - Wife's car
'96 Legacy Wagon - Son's car
'95 Legacy Sedan - #5 Daughter's car
'93 Impreza Sedan - #4 Daughter's car
'92 Claret LS-L - My car ____________
TOTAL = 595,000 Subi miles