View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 11:55 AM
SVXist Pig

Just to verify, does the 2-layer street hood have all the standard metal mounting points: hinges, threaded strut ball inserts, front latch hook, etc.?

Thanks.

[Hijack]BTW, I think I found a really good replacement hood strut.

It's Strong Arm number 4815, the extended length is exactly identical to the SVX strut, and the cartridge lifting pressure seems to be in the 40-50lb range (?). The cartridge body is about 1/2" longer, but the length is compensated by the way the shaft and cartridge attach to the mounting points. They are reversed - i.e. the silver shaft has a ball mount on the end and the cartridge has the hinged point that attaches to the fender.

Here's the catch: the strut's hinged bracket is totally incorrect for the SVX fender holes. I plan to Dremel the bracket off, drill out the rivet in the stock bracket, and use stainless hardware with a bushing and locknuts to reattach the old SVX bracket (which also includes that odd weatherstrip mounting point in addition to the mounting holes).

I'll post photos of my project later this week and y'all can decide if the experiment warrants a sticky.[/Hijack]

Last edited by Fuzz541; 09-21-2005 at 07:05 PM.