View Single Post
Old 10-23-2002, 05:14 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
The response has been great! Here are some FAQs:

1) Link to my SVX Audio Installation guide (click link). Shows how to remove the radio without scratching up your dash, has a wire color chart for the radio harness, and includes many other useful tips.

2) If you are installing an after-market radio in your SVX, then you want an SVX "Forward" harness.

3) Here is a thread I compiled for other Subaru models (on the NASIOC forums):
Stock head unit information -- pin-outs, aux inputs, subwoofers, and more
4) Yes, I still have these harnesses available. I will update this thread when I stop making them.

5) Yes, my SVX harnesses fit all SVX model years (1992-1997). But you should compare your car to the pictures in my locker (click here) to be sure your factory radio plug was not removed by a previous owner or car stereo installer.

6) The SVX radio harness is different than the harnesses in all other Subaru models.

7) No other company makes or sells radio harnesses for the SVX.

8) Because of #7, no stereo install shops will have these harnesses. If you ask them to install a radio in your SVX, they will want to cut off your car's radio plug and do a "hard-wire" install.

Even if you want to have a shop do the work, you'll be better off if you get a harness from me first. But take a look at my SVX Installation Guide -- you may find that you can do it yourself. At worst, you may just need the shop to solder or crimp the harnesses and then you do the rest. If you still want them to do the install, tell them the highlights from the guide so they can avoid the pitfalls (opening the dash, avoiding scratching things up, finding the antenna connectors, etc.).

9) If you're in the Atlanta area (or passing through), I'd be happy to sell you one in person. Send me an e-mail to arrange to meet. I'll also bring some to any SVX or Subaru meets that I attend.

If you haven't bought anything from Crutchfield before (at your current address), and would like $20 off your first order over $200, e-mail me for a referral code.

In gratitude of the wealth of information the subaru-svx.net website has provided me, I am donating 50 cents to this site from each sale.

This site welcomes any donations to help defray operating costs. For more information see this page: Donation Instructions.

You might also like to read Aredubjay's post from 2002 which gives some history about this site and remains a compelling call for continued donations: "The State of The Network" (but please see the new link above for the current places/methods to send donations).

Last edited by SVXdc; 12-17-2014 at 08:12 PM.