View Single Post
Old 08-05-2007, 07:17 PM

I second the awd. Since this is the first time you have ever really had experience with an svx I say, take some time to check over the forums before you buy. Not trying to scare you away but there are quite a few things about the svx that need to be adressed in deciding if it is a good buy. You stated the tranny was fine, but 170,000 is quite a lot of miles to have on a stock one even if it is a 94, the stock svx tranny is geared very low and goes out on most of them, you will find that 4:44 geared subaru trannies from other models are what most replace them with. The svx only came in auto but some will also convert to a 5 speed or 6 speed out of a legacy or impreza. From what I know Tom is the top dog for the manual swaps and a member svxfiles is the master of the 4:44 swaps. really listen for the wheel bearings in the rear if you test it out again. At 170,000 they are most likely bad if they have not been replaced, or replaced properly. One thing I know I will look for in my next svx(yes I know its overkill) is the seem where the lower plastic cladding meets the metal, That is where rust will start up on these cars, under the cladding is a cheap metal strip which will rust out easily and will spread to the actual body metal. If there is any rust or bubbly paint comign up above the cladding then underneath is a whole lot of rust eating away. Again not trying to scare anyone, I just wish I had been much more picky when chosing my first svx. Oh and cool your in NC. Im in concord(charlotte) Im not sure how far I am from you btu if you are in need of any help with purchasing and or working on this svx if you get it just let me know.
edit just map quested it Im about 3 hours out of wher your located

Last edited by gwarusee; 08-05-2007 at 07:27 PM.