View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee
Another question to Harvey. Back many years ago, we used to R&R the spring on MOPAR Torqueflight automatic transmissions, stretching it a bit while it was out. Effects didn't last too long, but it did work to stiffen up the shifts for a while.

So, using that principle, and what I think you're saying above, all that would be needed is the same size spring, but with a bit more compression strength...did I get it, or did I miss the boat yet again?
Hi Lee &Tom,
Not a lot of time today. Where are two ways to look at it. Increase the spring pressure, or reduce the pressure. If the spring pressure is increased the pressure applied to the band servo will be higher, but the time to full band pressure will be longer. Reducing the spring pressure, has the pressure to the servo delayed but hitting harder. Its the time that the slippage goes on for, that will destroy the facing.

The other thing that will affect this, is the type of trans that is used. Alough I have allways recommended the use of lower final drive ratios, for performance, I have not liked the use of a 4 cylinder trans. Sure it will fit, but it is not the same. They were not designed to handle the level of torque that the SVX delivers. Besides the extra clutch plate in the high clutch and transfer clutch, there will be other changes to the valve body and the applied pressures. The pressure and timing of the band will suit the lower torque, of the 4 cylinder. Pressure cost horsepower, so there is no point in them using a pressure in excess of what is needed to do the job.

I reckon that if you want a strong box for performance, you need to start with a SVX unit, preferable a Euro VTD unit, fitted with lower ratios.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.