View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 09:04 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

EGR problems + stalling. How to troubleshoot?

So I've had an EGR problem for a couple weeks now, and I think it's getting worse. Is there a flow chart or something out there for troubleshooting EGR problems? Story below:

A couple weeks ago, I started getting a CEL on startup, which didn't last long and went away when I started moving. This happened every time I started my car. The stored codes were 55 and 56 "EGR Temperature sensor or circuit" and "EGR system" respectively. The light was annoying, but didn't seem to cause any real trouble, and there were no obvious driveability issues.

This past weekend, I did my cam caps, cam seals, and crank seal. Now, the CEL is on constantly. Only the same two codes pop up, although I never did clear them. It seems coincidental that the CEL is constantly on now after me messing with it, but I didn't touch any EGR components when I was working.

Now - today when turning into Home Depot, the car stalled. This was after driving for about 25 minutes, so the engine was fully warmed up. It fired right back up when I put it in neutral and didn't act up anymore after that, but the stalling out bugs me. It wasn't running rough or acting strangely or anything - this happened with no warning. Can a bad EGR component cause stalling on a hot engine?

I already plan on cleaning the EGR temp sensor when I have a minute. Anything else I should check / look at? Are these "classic" symptoms of a specific part going out?

The car is a 1994 LSi, with about 104k on it. Any help is greatly appreciated!