Thread: Subaru Diesel?
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2004, 11:00 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

This is the first time I have heard of lifter failure around here. The lifters in the SVX look pretty solid as in they are are all metal with not elastomers. If they were bad I would guess they are clogged and cleaning as you say would help but how would you know they were clened? It isn't possible to take them apart. There are just two small holes for the oil and that's it.

Is the cooling system in good shape? radiator clear? both fans working? Over heating could cook some oil in the lifters I guess.

Take a look at the thread "Engine pics!" and you see what's involved. I would take the engine out to get to the lifters. I think it would be really difficult to do in the car. After it's out you have to remove, T-belt, valve covers and then cam shafts.

Have you considered the oil pump? Lifters get real noisy when the oil pressure is low. The XT-6 had that problem. I also know that sometimes the plate in the suby oil pump can come loose. This happened on my 97OBS at 75k miles. If this is the problem you would see oil leaking under the engine in front.

I would also check the oil pressure before I pulled the engine apart. Unless I was looking for an excuse to have some fun.

If it's not the oil pump I would try some Lucas engine oil treatment. Yeah I'm sort of sold on the Lucas products. The engine oil treatment says it will quiet lifters.