Thread: The SVX and you
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: The SVX and you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensaf View Post
I'm going to agree with you on all points but one; the transmission. Despite my awd not working and the breakband being adjusted (the latter expected over time, and they made it accessable externally for that), I've read countless threads on people replacing their transmissions 2, 3, 4, and one guy even 6 times, and all within an unreasonable amount of time/mileage. I've had plenty of old cars with original auto and manual transmissions that still shifted great and have seen a great deal more abuse (think Trans Am) than most of the aformentioned SVXi ever have, and they haven't blown to bits.
A lot of times when people are replacing their transmission in the SVX, they are replacing it with a used one, so if you continue doing that, of course you are going to be replacing it multiple times. The main reason they fail is from heat build up due to the TCU making long, smooth shifts that cause extra wear than necessary and in turn, extra heat.
It seems like if you get a reprogrammed TCU from LAN, buy an external filter, get an aux cooler, and change the trans fluid regularly, there is no reason a 4eat can't last in the SVX. If I remember seeing right, there is someone on here with over 200k still using the same trans it rolled off the assembly line with.

I must say that I have not had to spend much on my SVX since I bought it last September. I have minimal cash flow but I work on as much as I can. I've replaced the ball joints, an exhaust donut when I first got it, and as stated before, my transmission has lost the high clutch so I have just been using it the way it it since Thanksgiving. I will be taking the trans out of my parts car and seeing if that one is good within the next month or so. If it works as it should, great. If not, I'll still have a very reliable city car that I can take on the highway for a few miles if absolutely necessary. It has never not started, never died for no reason on me. Then again, none of the cars I have ever bought have left me stranded or had major issues. I know what to look for in cars and had no problem buying the Pontiac Grand Prix I did even though it had 200,000 miles on it.

Just my 2cents. Put the time into the car and it will give you an awesome car to drive that also gets everyone lookin at you