View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Re: Grrr.... new tires installed, still vibration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subix View Post
I'm discouraged. Mainly because I just shelled out nearly $500 to have these tires put on and yet I still feel a minor annoying vibration around 60mph.

So, it's probably my fault for being (or trying to be) a cheap SOB and taking it to Wal*Mart to save $25 for mounting/balance/installation. (I'm sure the word Wal*Mart makes people cringe). I suppose that's what I get

Do you think the techs at Wall-E World just didn't balance them right or enough? Maybe I have a front wheel bearing going out (which I don't think because I would think I would hear humming from the front (( or do those not hum? )) and the tech at wal*mart probably would have noticed wiggling while changing the tires, right?)

Could alignment have anything to do with the vibrations at those speeds (not from my understanding). On some roads it seems to go just straight... others slightly to the left so I'm unsure if it's just the road or alignment.

I'll most likely have to take it to Car-X or something in the morning and have *professionals look at it (aka, spend like another $80) and give me their opinion... if it is balance related, I doubt Wal*Mart will do any better the 2nd time around...

What do you guys think? (besides my ignorant choice in going to walmart, apparently...)
What kind of tires? Are you certain you don't have a bent rim? Some tires (Kumo comes to mind) don't seem to balance as well as others. And a bent rim will certainly affect balance / vibration.
BTW, alignment "could" have an affect of how the car feels in the balance department. Not as likely, but it could.

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx