View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 09:52 PM

More tranny/differential questions...

So I know I keep jumping around with what could be wrong with my car, but this wonderful snowstorm we got today made me notice exactly what it's doing and I thought I'd see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I originally thought I wasn't getting any power to the rear wheels, which led me to think my solenoid C was bad. I have not had a chance to lift the car and see if the rears are spinning with the fronts (I live in an apartment with strict no-working-on-cars-in-the-parking-lot rules, and don't have any friends with useful facilities), but I did try to listen for the C solenoid working. When I turn my key, I don't hear anything buzzing or humming or anything like that. I do hear what I'm pretty sure is the fuel pump, but aside from that, nothing.

So back to the snowstorm. I've began to notice that when I give the car some gas the front tires will spin for a second or two, then I feel a thud and catch traction. It feels to me like once I feel the thud, I get power to the rear wheels.

So what do you think? Should I start thinking about a new transmission, or am I getting off a little easier with a differential or something completely different? Aside from this issue (and the cracked radiator that I addressed in a different thread) my car is solid, and I'd really like to get to the bottom of this one.