View Single Post
Old 05-11-2005, 04:08 AM
5 speeds rock! :D

Mudrat79:

Small car kit: worthless.

Consider pedal assemblies also. As you get into the 5-spd swap, you'll find the pedal assembly needs a little masssaging. Huck used a cable driven clutch, I only know about the hydraulic one (he's a lot smarter than me!). The final product on the pedal assembly ends up being a merge between an SVX assembly and the manual one. There is VERY LITTLE margin for error. Mine came out beautifully, but I could have improved the throttle cable routing slightly.

BTW- I would recommend jig assembling your crossmembers, and selling them finished with a core swap. The only way to weld these together is on a jig, or on the car. The tolerances are very close. If the bends are rotated slightly, they will run into the exhaust. IF the channel is off slightly, it won't mate up to the tranny. When finished, there are 14 connection points to the car that all have to line up, and at least 6 close tolerance areas. Very few welding shops have lifts, and therefore can not weld the pieces on the car easily. If you're a buyer, I would STRONGLY recommend that you buy them assembled, even if they seem expensive.

Good luck, Mudrat79. I pm'ed you about a project I'm working on.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC