View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 02:35 PM

Re: Manual to automatic safety belts conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
Don't do it! When I was looking for m first SVX in 1999 the number one requirement on my list was no '92's or 93's because of the auto belts.

They are result of an overreaching regulation in the US (no other countries the SVX was in had them). It's a passive restraint system that is today just problematic.
To each his own... It works for me on all 3 of our SVX's. I personally like the system. There are actually some pluses that we get with the system that were not originally intended.

"Also, don't forget the additional lap belt that needs to be manually pulled across." I suppose that would be true with any setup... "clip it or ticket"

The shoulder belt is, of course, automatic. The lap-belt is the smoothest and easiest to fasten... by a mile! I used to marvel at how easy it was to fasten the lap belt, compared to those other cars,but as I thought about it the reason was simple. With other cars you have to drag both the shoulder belt and the lap belt together, but with the SVX, just the lap belt.

We travel a lot and rent cars and fastening the seat belts in anything else is a project because we are so spoiled from the SVX! If you by chance do forget the lap belt, you will probably avoid a ticket with the automatic shoulder belt and still have some protection in case of an accident. For safty, the wife and I constantly check with each other... "is your lap belt fastened?"

+1 for the system!

Keith