View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 10:51 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Manual to automatic safety belts conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
Don't do it! When I was looking for m first SVX in 1999 the number one requirement on my list was no '92's or 93's because of the auto belts.

They are result of an overreaching regulation in the US (no other countries the SVX was in had them). It's a passive restraint system that is today just problematic. They are not original; It's an afterthought to meet US car safely regulations.

I remember back in 1991, 1992 new Ferrari owners would spend thousands to loose the passive belts in F40s and Testarossas.

Also, don't forget the additional lap belt that needs to be manually pulled across. Because of this the seats have brackets and guides that are not found on the standard car as well as a different mounting point for the manual lap belt. It may be a different seat all together, I'm not sure.

Why anyone would want to spend an huge amount of time and money to equip a car with clunky outdated government mandated passive safety belts is beyond me. Spend your efforts on keeping the car original and running!
As long as they work as they are supposed to they are handy.
I actually like them I get in the car and go the seat belt is already on

And yes I know the manual lap belt is supposed to be also used