Thread: window scuffing
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 08:29 AM

Maybe a year and a half ago, I tried refurbishing the pads on my Claret according to the posts from the links above. I didn't remove the glass. Some of the pads (the ones for the front windows, I think) I removed completely and cleaned with dish doap, Bon Ami, water, a toothbrush, and maybe some other tool for scraping. I did so vigorously many times until the suds & rinse water stopped turning grey-brown or until I gave up! I left the more difficult-to-remove pads in place, and reached the toothbrush down alongside the glass to brush the pads with the detergent and rinse water, even though I think I ended up scratching the glass with the toothbrush. In any case, this cleaning only seemed to make the scratching worse. I say "seemed" because the existing scratches were pretty bad, and although the pad cleaning may have helped reduce the amount on further scratching, it didn't eliminate it, so scratches were still accumulating...Or maybe it's exactly as it seems, and it did get worse.

Now my Laguna has some serious scratch issues, and I'm hesitant to attempt another pad cleaning.