View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
i will e-mail Al Gore to get the answer.

i would think the equipment would limit the bandwidth somehow - if i'm paying for 15M, why would i buy the more expensive plan if i'm downloading at 88M?

we don't deal with the FIOS equipment at work, so i don't know the specs or how it all works, but we will be manning the FIOS Video equipment soon.

if you get FIOS Video, i will broadcast "Mr. Ed" and "Hee-Haw" to you in a 24-hour feed.
typically the bandwidth is throttled at the source (your ISP..aka Verizon). 88mbps is a lot of download bandwidth man. i seriously doubt you're getting that much because if everyone was getting that much, it would saturate their network. the only upside is that upload bandwidth is throttled to 256k to 512k with most cable and dsl providers.

some websites and ftp sites only offer 1.5mbps-3.0mbps upload so unless you have a ton of simultaneous downloads, you can't hit that max download bandwidth.

that's why i suggest using bitcomet. not only could find tons of stuff to download with bitcomet, you can test out your download speed because it'll allow up to 88mbps of simultaneous downloads.

try it out. i used it to test the cable and dsl bounded together. gave me 8mbps...but 88 would be awesome. you could also test out your upload speed by watching how much is being uploaded through bitcomet as well. you just need something like fedora core or a software that's always being downloaded by lots of people.