View Single Post
Old 01-29-2005, 08:05 AM

New O2 sensors

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
Get new O2 sensors.
I second that.

My 92 with 92,XXX miles was averaging a consistent 20 - 21 MPG on a 80% hwy/20% city driving cycle. I had no CEL's, but replaced the O2 sensors with new ones. It was obvious the old ones were original. At the same time, I replaced the main cat with a high flow Magnaflow and also installed an ECUtune v.4 chip. The end result was a gain in MPG to a conmsistenmt 24 with the same driving style and hwy/city mix. On extended hwy rides, I average 27 MPG.

I have a 5 speed with the 3.90 rear end so I don't think I'll ever see 28 or 29 MPG like some members have on the boards, but I'm pretty pleased with 24 MPG.

Keep in mind that as O2 sensor performance degrades over time, the default condition of any ECU is to run rich to prevent detonation which often shows up as decreased gas mileage and sooty tailpipes. You don't have to spend a fortune either. I bought Walker direct fit replacements for around $64 each from www.oxygensensors.com (factory Denso sensors are around $94 ea.). If you feel confident of your soldering skills, you can buy Walker universals for around $40 ea, but you have to solder and terminate the ends of the wires yourself.