View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005, 11:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to pipedream
Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369
I've had several cars with bad valve seals, and they would blow a light colored smoke out the tail pipe when started, after setting a while.

These are the seals on the valve stems, not the valve covers, so they let the oil seap down the valve stem into the combustion chamber, then upon starting, it burns off the oil that had leaked in over time, once that build up of oil burns off, it runs clean (this is to clarify, why valves seals will smoke out the Tailpipe).

I'm not saying that it couldn't be coolent, but if it had a bad head gasket, or a cracked head, it would get Worse when the motor gets hot....
This explanation sounds close to what my friend said when he witnessed the puff of smoke. It just happens once when startin the car, *sometimes*, it seems like, its very slight, and the car doens't smoke at all while it's running.

I do have a nasty smell after accelerating, like rotten eggs, but I think I've got a fried cat which is causing that. I don't know if the fried cat has anything to do with this mysterious "puff" of white smoke that i get.

I love saying puff.

How concerned should I actually be about this, if it is the valve stems?