View Single Post
Old 04-10-2003, 04:13 AM

THe TB cleaning

Cleaning the Tb is an often over looked area of most cars.
Unless your the do it yourselfer ( and most of us are)..

Lwin I would be wiling to bet your clean out job helped in many ways. That very little of it is psychological, maybe.

I did the simple TB cleaning. B12 ChemTool BTW is pretty good stuff to use for this.. Carbon build up just melts away..
anyhow I just sprayed the insides down, the butterflies, disconnected the battery while I did this. Sparks and Fumes never a good combo..
I could tell though there was a lot more that could benefit from a cleaning but was more then I was willing to remove as I am not to aware of how to reset some of the sensors once removed from Orignal locations..

I've got some minor bucking on start ups.. And sometimes a very noticable uneven idle.. It clear up in a min or 2.. So I think it's time again. to Clean the TB... Hell THere's a few things that need attention.. PCV, injectors.. Filters.. to name just the minor things.

I'll get some of that taken care of today before I head out.

Be carefull about putting too much cleaner down the throat of engine.. Just thinks it's wise not to dump 2 or 3 cans in and then try and start it or something, sounds like a bad recipe...... Lwin I'm not worried about you, mainly someone else reading who has never done it or or say a Newby..

As far as a system cleaner that's pour in the tank. BG44k or Red line fuel system cleaner works the best I've found..
We should have a TB cleaning party as to remove it all I"m sure takes some time and if the butterflies get as black as mine , Ehhh, I don't gota see the rest, I"m sure it's worse..

I use to to do this to an older Lincoln all the time( CLeaned the TB) It was just easier then the SVX.. Just had to replace a few gaskets... ANd trust me it made a notiable difference in how the car each time I did it..

Happy Drive'n to all
SVX1999