View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Hopefully not my last Reading but if this keeps up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
Agreed. So few cars have SVX's combination of qualities.

The thing is, that this is the time where normal use is ending, and the car is transitioning to possible classic status.

The car is 18 model years old, now, from the beginning of SVX production. even the youngest is 13 years old.

15-20 years is a rough time for cars, I think. Old enough to start being unreliable in some cases. Abuse may have taken it's toll on some cars. 2 or 3 owners have bought, and used, and may now have lost some interest in most of these. Single owners and low-mileage cars are the exception, not the rule.

The hardware is starting to show age in a lot of edges that might not have been noticeable. Some of these cars are getting to the point where project creep could take a minor service to a partial restoration, or even a full restoration. where do you stop, if everything you dig into uncovers something else to be done before you put the part back that you started with?

These cars aren't Mustangs. The aftermarket and OE parts pools are not very big at all. They aren't Porsches either, that people have knowingly kept salvage-ready, rather than being crushed or otherwise destroyed. Porsches and others may have instead been saved in salvage-ready state, due to name-value, and sure classic status in the future.

These cars aren't quite 25 years old. they haven't quite reached nostalgic status. Maybe they won't really take hold as classics, since they weren't rampantly popular when new. But they are worthy, if they do catch on as classics.

Some cars are going to be drivers until the wheels fall off, and like mine, would never be 100% no matter how much money could be spent on it. It has been hit, and not repaired correctly... the structure is minutely bent, but not to the point of being beyond function.

When I bought it, I did put new wipers and new headlights, and some other bits that were functionally needed. I fixed the leaking steering return line a couple weekends ago. I replaced the broken wheel stud, and such. The paint is peeling clearcoat more and more... and the driver's seat leather is coming apart more and more... and the power antenna is broken off, and the speakers crackle and rattle... and such things like that.

I don't have the cash to fix those things right now, let alone buying a nicer example, or restore the car that I currently use to commute. (and keep mileage off of my nicer 2.5 GT Legacy, and hopefully slow down it's depreciation a little bit.)

I could spend tens of thousands of dollars trying to square my bent SVX, and re-paint it, and all that... and it still won't be as straight or as square as an original car. So I am not going to do that. I'd rather spend the money on another straight car, and enjoy driving this one, in the mean time.

Some folks just don't get around to some things, even if some others disagree with that priority. I might agree with some lack of maintenance being unfortunate on these cars, when it would be relatively easy to perform.

But to say that money isn't an issue is a bit callous. Even those of us still employed are having bills increase, and buying power drop. That has an effect. This economy is hitting hard. And I refuse to begrudge people their valued past-time to go meet other friends, amidst this trying time.

Sitting at home stewing about piling up bills isn't all that healthy. Sometimes it is worth it to spend a little money to get out of dodge, and meet some other folks, even if there are some things that still aren't all in a row otherwise.

I do have to ask myself this, though... and it can be a rhetorical question, if necessary... what is to be gained by making people feel bad about their cars, and their decision to drive to a meeting, if someone else calls that into question the way this thread subject does.

I am not much of a softie, and I think there is a lack of shame in our culture, in things like driving badly while texting, or wanting to get more money from the government when other people have to work to pay those taxes, and such...

But somehow being harsh on folks here, seems counter-productive, and less encouraging... and more discouraging in the effect of social interaction.

I can see why people might react with "Ok, why try, if I am just going to get criticized." rather than "Ok, I need to get some of that stuff done." when someone comes to a community like this, and brings somewhat harsh criticism, even if it is based in actuality.

An 8 ounce glass with 4 ounces of liquid in it can be described as half full or half empty. That interpretation makes a difference, aside from the objective fact. A negative interpretation can be met with a negative response, is all I'm saying.

If this community is not the big place for people to ENCOURAGE people to maintain their older cars, there isn't really much for anyplace else for that. Even other Subaru forums don't necessarily care or like these cars.

Coming here, and getting shot down is not a good feeling, and it really isn't necessary to be shooting people down here. Encouragement for re-doubled efforts should be what goes on here.

YOU, Sir, have hit it ON the HEAD!
I was told 23 years ago that my 47 Dodge would be 'Laughed at' if I took it to a certain run. I said, "Well I guess they don't NEED my truck or money there". I have NEVER attended that run. I did hear that the run is LOSING attendance by the HUNDREDS each year.
The ARROGANCE is KILLING it! Lets not let that happen here!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry