View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 03:38 AM

Re: sputtering and jerky idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by odepaj View Post
i had the same problem (not as bad as some of the rest of you) but my car had a small shudder at idle and then while accelerating from a dead stop the car would slowly crawl to speed and be kinda jerky. acouple weeks later i went out to start the car and it wouldnt start, the battery was dead. so i took it to get the battery and the charging system tested, my alternator is low. i had the battery recharged and the car worked fine, but now my alternator is in worse condition and the battery is very low again and the jerky/sputtering is slowly coming back.
I had this problem with dead batteries for years...turned out to be a bad door solenoid..it had stuck open causing many strange electrical problems. Had DOOR SOLENOID DISCONNECTED problem SOLVED!!!!! Testing the charging system WILL NOT reveal a bad door solenoid---of which WILL quickly drain the battery overnight.
Also, make sure to replace that short ground wire (I call it the CHARGING WIRE) that goes from the battery post to the body under the battery. If there's corrosion on this wire, you'll have dead batteries and that dreaded 'clicking' before the engine finally starts.
As for the weird low idle issue..it's unrelated to this since I just started getting this after fixing a bad high pressure and low pressure hose going to the (just replaced) steering pump? VERY strange, but I'm not surprised since I do have worn out cam seals and I'm just getting around to replacing the original OEM Oil Pressure switch (I think this is why my engine light comes on after 5 minutes of driving) from 1992!!
I think my oil pressure switch is plugged up or corroded I'm sure about it.

To add: Someone mentioned about replacing the gas cap that solved their poor low idle issue ( RPMs fluctuate causing the engine to stall or starve for gas) and I did notice that my gas cap stopped 'PRESSURISING' at the same time my poor idle showed up at the same time I replaced my high/low pressure Power Steering hoses... So the issue could just be pressure differences in the lines. Confused ECU?? Anyways, time for a new gas cap!! (They do go bad after 5 years!!)
Gas cap update: WASNT gas cap...still no pressure in gas tank!! Something connected to the EGR must have failed though. Still idles good though and I replaced the Oil Pressure Switch (it had black suit buildup on the blade connector)

Last edited by RisingPhoenix; 06-22-2018 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Gas cap?? Gas cap is GOOD!!!