Thread: Transmission...
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 04:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to tommy96LSi
Unhappy spectacular

AWESOME... again it's been a while since I've updated, mostly because ALMOST NOTHING has been done other than line inspection and filter/gasket/fluid replacement. So the easy fix didn't work, and while we had the pan off my dad (the engineer) test the resistance on duty solenoid A, which tested at 3 ohms... dead on.

So now for the rebuild. I'm on a local subaru forum (of which I'm the only SVX member) and even their go-to shop won't even work on it. WTF? I guess apparently they don't want to take on the time consumption of a rebuild, even after I explained that it's the same 4EAT that's on the legacy they already work on. The local shop then in turn asked his own trusted transmission guy if he'd consider a rebuild, and apparently ran away. HOWEVER... He suggested a transmission replacement? again... WTF? I'm pretty sure I'm the only svx owner anywhere near Charlotte.

The car has been sitting in my driveway for over 6 months now. :FRUSTRATION:... I'm seriously considering the swap but I'm concerned about the invasiveness of the operation, and the cost of the transmission that I would replace to... so here are my questions:

1) Would you recommend a person who has never worked on a transmission before attempting a rebuild?

2) Would you recommend a used transmission as an option to forgo the rebuild? and what are the prices/ long run implications of putting a used transmission in the car?

3) What's the success rate of the 5 speed swap? And more importantly, what are the costs like?