View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 09:24 PM
A mom with style ;-)

Send a message via Yahoo to momzsvx
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by svx_commuter
Hello Momz I try to remember and clean off all the battery terminal on all our family cars around this time of the year. It is just good maintenance practice and I have learned the hard way.

Oh I would just look and think "it looks clean" but your battery cable is prime example of what happens. The corrosion starts and continues until it starts traveling up under the insulation and then NO POWER, bad wire and then NEW wire.

That bad cable in your SVX can be replaced and YES it shound be replaced. Otherwise the splice will get corroded too. It is very hard to seal the cable splice unless shrink tubing is used.

I always smear silicone grease over the battery terminal after cleaning them. This helps to cut down on the corrosion.

As said above, check the ground wires and the fuse box. Pull each fuse one at a time and check for corrosion on the fuses. If you find it, clean the connector in the box.

Thanks you have made some great points...my husband at one time was an aviation mechanic so he did use the shrink tubing. I have not seen it done before and well lets just say...I love him...but question all that I do not know...I do not know a lot...lol....

92 LS-L parts
94-LSi My baby
95-(AWD) polo green T-Boned