View Single Post
Old 06-17-2004, 02:22 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide
Damn, Chris, what happened???
I know I've been busy lately, but I don't remember seeing a thread about your SVX getting wacked....
-Bill
What happened???

I know this has been a thing that alot of people have been wondering. As much as I didn't want to admit it it was all a result of me being stupid. I was up at the NASIOC meet (The Dragon) and was last in line for gas the morning that we left. I didn't want to hold everyone up so I told them to go ahead and I'd catch up. Well it turned out that I got stuck behind some really slow people (actually they were doing the speed limit) and was behind the group a good 10 miles. Well I wasn't quite sure which way I was suppose to go but I knew where I was suppose to meet everyone. So I desperatly tried to catch them. Screaming along the Cherhola skyway at rediculas speeds. But the Suspension was handeling everything perfectly. No way would a stock SVX beable to even come close to the corner speeds that I was carrying through the turns. ......................bla bla blah.......

So anyway I make it over the 5,000ft peak on the skyway and start my desent down the mountians twards Tellico Plains. There was a long straight and then a blind right hander. down the straight I remember getting into 4th gear (about 95mph). Then jumped on the brakes before the turn. I got down to speed for the turn but half way into the turn I realized that it was a decreasing radius turn with 0* of banking!!! as I steered into the turn more (trying to keep from braking while in the turn) I felt the rear tires breaking loose. out of the corner of my eye I noticed that to the left (the outside of the turn) was a guard rail and a huge drop off. after seeing this and noticing that I was in a dead slide (slide where no driver imputs really counter the slide) I panicked and hit the brakes. This stopped my outward movement and sent my nose into the inside wall at about 35mph diagional motion (not head on)... After hitting I still had enough momentum from the slide to spin a full 360 and land in the ditch with the nose facing the road. Luckely like I said, the only real damage was at the front and the Air Bags broke the wind Shield... That's it... Pics will come probably tomorrow....

So there you have it, that's my story of what happened and why I am now SVX-less... I kick myself everytime I think about that accident and how it was 100% avoidable If only I hadn't worried about getting left behind and being lost.

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...