View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 08:14 PM

Registered SVX
Re: soon to be back in a SVX again

worked on tonight, progress is being made.
Started after work at 3:45, worked til 5:30, breaked for supper, then from 6:30 until 9pm

Actually, about 2 hours was straightening a bent inner right tie rod.

Okay, for the bearing progress. Got the lateral bolt removed, emergency break cable and emerg. brake shoes, springs, holder removed. Shock bolt out, trailing arm bolt out, axle nut off…..abs sensor out of the housing.

Pressed the hub off the housing, removed the tone ring so I could pull the half bearing off the hub. snap ring removed on outer bearing on housing.

that is where it sits now, quit at 9pm, it is 32 degrees outside, the space heater couldn't keep up.

The outer part of the bearing and holder, the bearing itself turned good, but you can see some heat scorching on the rollers…….grease didn't look all that bad, well, if you call it grease, that may have been the issue…..
-tomorrow, after work I can start on it at about 3:15.
Going to press the inner part of the bearing and outer race out of the hub.
Clean up everything good.
Spray left side of the car with penatrant to prepare for same process

Will press new bearing into housing. install snap ring. Install both seals.
fasten tone ring back to hub. Press hub into the new bearing /housing
install onto car.

Then can do this to the left rear.

Then I still have to check front toe, and adjust steering back to 12 oclock center when driving straight..

Then………ps, I don't plan to do this again for some time. I will be reusing the old axle nuts. The torque spec range says 123-152 ft pounds. since I am reusing the axle nut, would you say 135 is about perfect? Or is higher more better?
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K

Last edited by bheinen74; 12-12-2014 at 08:18 PM.