View Single Post
Old 04-21-2004, 08:24 PM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
First thing (free) I'd check is the heat shield directly above the center support bearing for the driveshaft. Just make sure it has enough clearance to not rub on the driveshaft. If it is pretty close, bend it up a little bit.

I just had one of my heatshields removed. However, I have a FWD SVX... No driveshaft for me!

Beyond that, not sure, the problem seems very intermittent.
The weight movement on/off throttle seems normal to me if the TC is locked up you will feel it when you drop off/get on the gas.

I thought that it might be the TC as well. However, there is very little change in RPM when letting off/pressing on the accelerator. Perhaps it doesn't always happen during TC lockup, but I thought there was approximately a 400-ish change in RPM when lockup occurs. Can anyone correct me on this?

Quote:
Originally posted by UberRoo
Frequently, when parts warm up, they expand. I believe there is a TSB about this specifically for SVXs. There are tons of little felt pads in the dash to prevent noises from the console heating up and expanding. Sometimes the pads come loose, sometimes more need to be added.

As I recall, the TSB suggests removing the dash, installing a handful of felt pads, and checking a few that come installed from the factory. Without knowing exactly what the ticking sounds like, I couldn't venture a better guess about what's causing it. The same effect can happen to exhaust systems and the neighboring heat shields. For the exhaust, tighten everything and check clearances as immortal_suby suggests.

If this happens somewhat regularly, try using a mechanics stethoscope or a piece of hose in your ear. This works wonders for locating strange noises.

Good advice. I didn't know about the little pads. I'll check it out.
Thanks fellas. See responses in quotes.