View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 11:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to redlinedeath Send a message via Yahoo to redlinedeath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
I've also been doing some thinking about swapping the whole STI knuckle and hub into the SVX. They have different ball joints, but an adapter can be made to overcome that. The biggest problem I see is that with the STI knuckle, we will HAVE to run the Brembos. Nothing wrong with that, it's just a bunch more money, on the brakes and the rims to fit over them.

The reason for that is that when Tom tried to fit the Brembos he found that the SVX, while having the same bolt pattern, has the caliper mounted farther out from the center of the hub. This means that to run Brembos on an SVX, you need larger rotors than an STI would, and the calipers really can't work properly with larger rotors. Mounting an SVX caliper on an STI knuckle would bring it closer to the center, and would not allow us to use our stock rotors. So unless there's a good substitute in the size that would require, it would be Brembos or nothing. (The Subaru 4-pots might fit, but I don't know if there's a 5x114.3 rotor that will work with those)
im not incredibly familiar with suspension setups, so im sorry if what i say is just stupid anyhow, with these problems(not including top mount issues) you cant just swap out the whole suspension/knuckle/hub/brake system and new rims (off a stock sti maybe) and make it work? im sure that was just stupid, as i dont know suspension systems well, but is this not possible? i apologize in advance if it was that bad of a question