Thread: The French?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2003, 10:43 AM
lightning_8669

Re: To Lightning

Quote:
Originally posted by lhopp77
If you think that girl is a protester with the message she is carrying--we know which side you support. I think you are somewhat misinformed of several things. And obviously do not want to consider reality. But, again--you have your freedom to believe what you like and voice that opinion. I just do not agree with it.

As to us using French words in our vocabulary--yes we use many of them as well as many other languages. We are not trying to keep the English language pure as the French do. In fact they have special organizations to keep it pure. We are far more relaxed and use what serves our purpose not to keep a language "pure".

Lee

SVXx4
Boy! You are sure determined to keep this serious aren't you?

Is she holding up a sign in an attempt to make a statement? Yes.
Would that not be "protestation"? Yes
Does that make her a protestor? Yes
Can a person protest someone else's protesting? Yes
Does that make this person a protest protestor? Yes, if you want to be anal about it.

As for the use of French words I really don't give a rip except from a curiostiy sake where words come from. And only so much as it helps me understand things. I believe more of our words come from Greek derivatives than from other places. And even some that come from languages such as German may actually have come from a Greek word originally.

As for your statment regarding my being "misinformed" I can assure you that if you have watched any television in your lifetime you too have been misinformed. Or you can use any prefix you prefer; mis, under, dis, etc.. I can gladly forward you some proof of such if you'd like. But I'd rather just have fun here.

So, I still think she's a protester and I STILLLLLL think she's cute. I don't care what you say. Well, I do but only so much as it is your right to do so.