View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: I am getting SS headers made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
If they were reasonable cost and made the exhaust better in some measurable way, I would get headers, that is why I had them on the Mustang. Headers did help in a very measurable way on that car, they were long tubes and the stock manifolds on those cars were pitiful. Wasn't a fan of the reduced ground clearance though, I scraped those things on man hole covers that were slightly above the road surface the first few days I had them.

I still think stainless and mandrel bends are just for bragging unless it is a full race car that will see high RPMs very often. Just doesn't make sense for a street car.

I actually have had an offer from a friend of mine to make headers for my SVX, but I really don't see a point, the stock manifolds look great for a stock engine. He was looking under it when we were talking about dual exhaust and he said he could make some long tubes for it that would end after the transmission cross member.

He will be making some block hugger headers for my 1959 Rambler that is getting a Land Rover engine, not for performance, but because no stock manifolds will work.
Actually the stock manifolds are quite a restriction esp. to the dog leg exhaust ports. Their size is just simply too small as well. But you are correct in saying a street car doesn't really need them.

Tom